We live in an era where every genius is discussing how to make a town sustainable as if we are machines and no one is discussing how to make a town livable. It's not possible for the north start to be there always, because the beauty of this universe doesn't lie in uniformity but it is in the rarest anomaly, so God created an inner self for guidance.
Not so many north stars are left I guess so I searched for some in my memory. There was a discussion some years ago with a brilliant architect. He was trying to convince the mayor to make a rule that all the buildings in this town should give the same feel, to look alike, like musqat. It will give a good feel. But no one was convinced. After the meeting, I caught him near the parking lot, and asked, how can every building with different nature and size and can possibly look alike. He smiled and like a darvesh gave me a few words, "just make it with the same theme. Then with its most different architecture, it will look alike". Some things are stored safely to be understood at a different time so I understood it lately.
One day I asked my niece (05 years old); 'How do you want your town to look like?' She said it should have candies everywhere.
The other day I asked an architect, how do you want your town to look like. He said it should have modern skyscrapers everywhere.
To search more I asked my grandmother one day. She (being fond of books)said it should have libraries.
Then I looked into the cities like Dubai with modern architecture, nice candies, and huge libraries and I saw people grieving, suffering, willing to meet their loved ones at hometown.
Then I studied about Mecca in its old times when it was converted from Yesrab to Madina tun Nabi. I saw poverty, no Roads, no abundance of basic facilities, sometimes no water. But people were satisfied with the town.
Then I got the theme which is if we follow the design we can make everyone happy. We can make a happy town where there is "happiness" and "equality".
Anyone wants to convert the towns of this city into a beautiful place? Think of developing everything with equality. Make roads, which majorly serves the people with cars and wealth, plan respectable bus systems for the poor. Make flyovers for maneuvering of vehicles, plan pedestrian realm. Making skyscrapers, make parks. Indulge communities.
Our mayor often complains about lack of funds. To make people happy usually no funds are required. Mecca had no funds but the higher-ups were going through the same situation. That's why no one complained. Suppose a mayor complains about lack of funds to ease out the choking of roads with a VIP protocol and then suppose if a mayor is stuck at the same junction from an hour when he comes on the roof of his car and says, see I am stuck too. Within the same second people will be happy.
While planning a city, the objective should not be to make a modernized sustainable city, but a happily liveable city. And then treat your self with equality even your own self. Suffer if everyone is suffering. And no one will complain.
One day Sahabis told our prophet (p.b.u.h) that we are so short of food that we all have tied our stomachs with one stone. The Prophet (p.b.u.h) lift his qameez, and there were two.
No comments:
Post a Comment