Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Aim high, take the baby steps

We often talk about the importance of dreaming, the need for envisioning, the demand for Innovation and the usefulness of curiosity. But when it's preached to dream the problem which occurs is that everyone jumps so high and starts to live in their dream. Every step between reality and the dream is like a serious waste of time. They don't realize that one of the most important things successful dreams don't forget is, "it is a dream".

So I went to my university to give a short talk on entrepreneurship. I discussed the importance of having good entrepreneurs, New companies and a healthy competition. I talked about dreaming big and I suggested everyone to start aiming big. But a very important point almost everyone missed is that; to aim big, you need to have a clear vision, and to have a clear vision you need to have lots and lots of knowledge.

The sequence should be; to set a goal, start dreaming, do good homework, aim high, work hard and lower your expectation. A good dreamer is a person who knows the true difference between reality and dream. That's how he/she can take the full enjoyment in the dream.

But the real sequence people are adopting is, no goal, no homework, aiming high, willing to work less, expect the highest. And the result is some days of fantasy with no achievement. And when they wake up they say. Oh Crap, that was a dream.

So one day I received a phone call from a newly passed out guy. After the usual sentences, he informed me that I want to open a project management consulting company. I said nice aim now start working on it. He said, no I want to meet you to discuss how u can open it now. I was amazed. What now?  I asked. And he was jumping high. So I asked what is project management? He said its one of the parts of construction management. I smiled and told him that whatever it is you need to have at least an experience of 10 projects with a masters degree to file your case for such a company. I asked again, why do you want to begin this company. He said because there is no good salary structure in Pakistan. Nice aim, I mumbled.

Now he is working in a highly demotivated state in a construction company. No goal, no homework, hating baby steps and highest aim. Results, as expected, is a complete failure.


Dream, take baby steps, then walk steadily, then run as long as you can and one day you will see that a road is ending near the river with high fog blur vision. Have faith and jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rectification from the source --- Brain Drain

One day, a General of a very small army was threatened by a superpower. He was asked to surrender. He smiled and said that you will not onl...