The Illusion of Scope
We live in a society where too
many rumours become facts, too many sounds become voices and too many likes
become happiness. All you have to do is pitch anything wrong or right as many
times as possible until it becomes a universal truth.
So I heard people saying that
there is no scope of traffic engineering in Pakistan. Most of these people are
my personal contacts, my juniors, my mates etc. When I ask them, “what is
traffic engineering?” they often reply:
- The counting of vehicles
- Vehicular traffic study
- Traffic impact studies
- Vehicle congestion study etc.
Then after hearing all this with
immense patience from these social media philosophers, I ask:
- Who will decide how many visitors a theme park should receive after its construction?
- Who will decide how many lifts a building should have for smooth operations?
- Who will decide the paths of pedestrians?
- Who will decide the cargo movement patterns?
- Who will finalize the operations of railways and airports? (number of trains, bogies, frequency)
- Who will decide the demand and supply of dry ports?
- Who will synchronize the city?
- Don’t you think that there is a requirement of capacity analysis of sea channels and corridors?
This gives their weak stomach a
food for thought. Then with a pause, I say, every object that may move from one
recognised origin to another recognised destination comes under the traffic
engineer’s scope. Weather it is the traffic of containers in the container
yard, traffic of visitors in the shopping mall lift, queue analysis of a roller
coaster ticket holders, busyness of runways or the vehicular traffic
engineering.
Then the argument expands with
its extreme irrationality, they say no one wants to accept that, they design
town cities without consulting a traffic engineer, there is nothing we can do.
Then I conclude the argument with two points. One is, even you never knew all
this, how can they know? And as a second point I tell them a story I like, once
told by my teacher (Mr. Tahseen).
One day a shoe maker was
transferred to a village, he resigned the next day with an argument that,
company wants to sink my career because in this village “no one wear shoes”.
They accepted the resignation and
send another shoe maker to that village, next day he ordered 100,000 shoe pairs
with an argument that this is an amazing venue give me 100,000 shoe pairs
immediately because here in this village “no
one is wearing shoes”
Illusion of Scope or Massive
Scope, assume again!
No comments:
Post a Comment